LaughStub is the mostly widely used comedy ticket platform in the US - The Comedy Store, all the Improvs, The Stand, Stand Up NY, New York Comedy Club, Levity Live and numerous other venues all depend on its ticket sales functionality and, most importantly to you the comedian, its database of comedian profiles!
So, if you want your pretty face and your preferred bio to show up in show listings, you need a profile! Once you have it set up, you also get some cool extra benefits - people can easily look up all your shows at various venues from coast to coast in one place and they have a nifty widget you can embed in your website that will auto-update with any shows you're doing.
Here's the thing, LaughStub is like Democracy or Capitalism - it's the worst possible platform...except for all the others. (ok, to be fair, TicketFly is making a push into comedy and is a considerably better system, but basically every venue is locked into a multi-year contract with LaughStub, so...)
The site is technologically ancient (by tech standards) and has been acquired, then acquired again, so their customer service for comedians is generally clueless or, worse, will tell you the totally wrong answer.
But you gotta do it, so suck it up and follow these simple steps.
How To Set Up Your LaughStub Artist Profile
Before You Begin
Have you ever bought tickets from LaughStub, worked at a venue that uses LaughStub, had a promoter or affiliate account? Then you can't use that email address to sign up (or you have to take the extra steps noted at the bottom).
Go To the Artist Page and Search Yourself
2. Search for your name - you'll either get a No Results Found or perplexing list of vaguely partial matches
3. Make sure you check the list carefully that you aren't already on there - you may have been unknowingly added by your management, a show promoter, venue staff, or you might have forgotten you already did it.
Assuming, though, that you aren't
Create New Accouont
1. Click the Create New Account button at the bottom
2. Enter your basic details
ONLY DO THIS ONCE!
IF YOU GET AN ERROR it's probably because your email actually IS already associated with a ticket buyer or promoter account. The easiest thing to do is use an alternate email, like the one you use to sign up for newsletters and porn sites. (Otherwise, see below about how to free up your preferred email)
Now it Gets Weird
You might be able to add your bio and picture right now or you might have to wait some number of days until LaughStub approves the account. Just do what you're able to do now, don't keep doing it repeatedly (or you'll end up with zombie profiles), and just sit tight until you get your confirmation. It can take a couple of days.
If You Really Really Wanna Use This Specific Email Address
You CAN free up your primary email address from whatever stupid database row it already lives in. It's a bit of a production, but if you love your @hotmail that much...
- Go to the main login Password Reminder: http://www.laughstub.com/account/forgot.cfm?
- Enter your precious email address
- Go through the reset instructions they send
- Log in
- Go to your Profile and change that email address to some junk or fake email address
- Log out
- Wait a couple hours and try signing up for an Artist Profile again