There are a million "Top X on Twitter" lists out there... and they're pretty much all the same. Yes, you absolutely should be following Patton Oswalt, Rob Delaney and Megan Amram if you've had a Twitter account for more than 24 hours. But if you've been on Twitter a while, you know there are some unsung gems flying just under the radar. So, I've put together a list of 13 comedians who crush it onstage and online that you may not be following yet.
In no particular order:
- Kevin Christy (@kevingchristy) - I first saw Kevin perform at a Tweetcrawl back when he wasn't even on Twitter. But like many late bloomers, he's now surpassed a lot of folks who've been at it before him. If the law would allow it, I'd marry Kevin's twitter feed.
"Burlesque" is french for "I'M NOT A STRIPPER!" Followed by audible sobbing.— Kevin Christy (@kevingchristy) October 2, 2012
- Fahim Anwar (@fahimanwar) has some of the most deadpanly absurd tweets ever.. bonus is you'll also find out about some really cool music you've never heard of.
asking how the car is doing is dad for "i love you."— Fahim Anwar (@fahimanwar) December 13, 2012
- Matt Goldich (@mattgoldich) - hands down, one of my favorite Twitter accounts to follow for the high hit-to-miss ratio and just the right volume per day. You can tell he's been a comedy writer for a while from his dead-on efficient use of words.
Who sings that song that goes, oh never mind I have a phone.— Matt Goldich (@MattGoldich) December 30, 2012
- Moshe Kasher (@moshekasher) Oh, Moshe, Moshe, where to begin with my love for following Moshe on Twitter? Some of the smartest, sharpest tweets out there, dripping with self-hatred, fake hatred of follow comedian/friends and some real hatred for good measure.
Every friday night, in every city in america, the worst people of the town gather together to ruinthe late show at the local comedy club.— Moshe Kasher (@moshekasher) December 29, 2012
- Brody Stevens (@Brodyismefriend) Positive affirmations, absurd photoshops, silly puns and a peek deep inside Brody's brain await you if you follow him on Twitter.
I text on bathroom stalls.— Steven BRODY Stevens (@BrodyismeFriend) December 29, 2012
- Lauren Ashley Bishop (@sbellelauren) - The perfect mix making alcoholism and loneliness hilarious, with the bonus that she loves cute dogs! Also, author of one of my Top 3 favorite tweets ever (Nice try, things without vodka in them!) which I think she tweeted back in 2010.
this salad bar needs more whiskey— lauren ashley bishop (@sbellelauren) December 12, 2012
- Nick Youssef (@nickyoussef) The ultimate hipster is also the ultimate Twitter hipster - he gets it before you do - the rise and fall of #FF, hashtag games, Favstar and all the other stupid stuff we used to think was cool on here - you can be sure if Nick's still doing it, it's cool, and if he's stopped it's soooo over. As is the developing theme of this list, his grasp of the funny that lies in being dead inside is dead on.
"omg so skinny!!" - Girl wishing death upon prettier friend via Instagram— Nick Youssef (@NickYoussef) December 26, 2012
- Justin Martindale (@justmartindale) I hate to pigeonhole Justin as "bitchy fabulous" but, I mean, if the shoe fits... Great snark about everything pop culture and everything else.
Did they find that girls body from the "Baby, It's Cold Outside" song yet? Hope so. Merry Christmas!— Justin Martindale (@justmartindale) December 25, 2012
- Zach Sherwin (@zachsherwin) aka MC Mr Napkins - if you like puns & wordplay, then Zach is the man for you. That is all.
Diagram Hard With A Venn-geance— Zach Sherwin (@zachsherwin) December 28, 2012
- Candice Thompson (@jokesByCandice) Imagine the sassy common sense of the proverbial fat old black lady coming out of the mind & keyboard of a hot young thing and you've got Candice.
Just got banned from Macy's again. Apparently their "Wrap It Up Sale" is not a free condom giveaway.— Candice Thompson (@jokesbyCandice) December 17, 2012
- Grant Pardee (@grantpa) Not really sure how to sum up Grant's Twitter persona, other than "I like it" - mostly smart-alecky snappy patter jokes, sometimes interrupted by some beautiful sincerity. But mostly funny.
I can never remember the appropriate amount of time to wait before saying "I love you" or "the N word."— Grant Pardee (@grantpa) December 12, 2012
- Barbara Gray (@babsgray) Food, sex, guys and weed - all things I like and all things Barbara makes hilariously personal feeling jokes about on a regular basis.
Texting a guy "Sorry I'm crazy" is playing SUPER hard to get right?— Barbara Gray (@BabsGray) December 19, 2012
- Kyle Ray (@thekyleray) I have a kind of love-hate thing with Kyle's twitter. I love it because his brain twists around the same weird ideas in the same weird way mine does. I hate it because he's usually tweeting a considerably funnier version of a premise I just thought of 5 minutes ago.
If your Instagram profile isn't your real name then you'd better be posting pictures of you and your friends doing some illegal shit.— Kyle Ray (@theKYLERAY) December 16, 2012